People with Disabilities: Ensure people with disabilities and their families are visible, active, and valued members of the community.
For all Minneapolitans to participate and benefit in growth, the City of Minneapolis must ensure that people with disabilities and their families have access and opportunity for housing, employment, mobility and civic engagement.
The City will seek to accomplish the following action steps to ensure people with disabilities and their families are visible, active, and valued members of the community.
- Expand opportunities for individuals with physical and mental disabilities to participate as integrated members of the workforce.
- Prioritize and support independent living services, including respite care, nursing and personal care, food access and delivery, and transport services, that enable people with disabilities to live independently in the community for as long as possible.
- Ensure access to affordable, safe and accessible housing options for people with disabilities and their families and support systems.
- Require City staff to produce accessible documents and presentations.
- Ensure City of Minneapolis services, resources, information and policies follow best practices for ADA compliance and exceed the minimum standards.
- Implement best practices for ADA compliance, with a focus on transportation (sidewalks, buses, crosswalks, etc.).