Fair Housing: Expand fair housing choice and access throughout the city.
Minneapolis, like all cities in the region and nation that utilize HUD grants, has the responsibility to take meaningful action to eliminate discrimination, overcome patterns of segregation, and foster inclusive communities free from barriers that restrict access to opportunity based on protected characteristics. This means examining policies, regulations, programs and actions that the City and its partners take to assess their impact on affordable housing and the ability of people of color to make housing choices in an environment free from discriminatory practices (referred to as “fair housing choice”). City decisions regarding housing policy, investment, land use and zoning have a direct and profound impact on affordable housing and fair housing choice, shaping the city’s and region’s potential diversity, growth and opportunity for all.
The City’s work to eliminate barriers to fair housing requires ongoing policy development, strategy implementation, and evaluation. This work is informed by data and robust community and stakeholder engagement. Racial disparities developed in large part as a result of discriminatory policy; proactive policy and strategies will be required to eliminate these disparities. Fair housing barriers are regional in nature. The City will participate in regional efforts to eliminate racial disparities and fair housing barriers.
The City will seek to accomplish the following action steps to expand fair housing choice and access throughout the city.
- Participate in regional collaboration to eliminate fair housing barriers, including the completion of a fair housing assessment at least every five years, to be informed by robust community and stakeholder engagement.
- Annually establish, review, assess and implement strategies for removing barriers to fair housing choice, using feedback from community and stakeholder engagement of the people most impacted by these barriers.
- Disseminate fair housing information and resources.
- Conduct fair housing testing to ensure compliance in the rental housing community with fair housing law.
- Support and collaborate on the expansion of fair housing work throughout the region.