MSP Airport: Support and take an active role in strategies to make Ensure MSP Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport more modern, is efficient, connected, and environmentally sound.
The Minneapolis-Saint Paul Airport connects the twin cities to other cities in the United States and also abroad. Located just over 12 miles from the downtown core, MSP is easily accessible by light rail transit, bus, or car. The airport connects the Twin Cities nonstop from 128 domestic and 27 international markets. Over 37 million travelers were served by MSP in 2016, placing it 16th in North America in annual passengers served. Though located outside of Minneapolis city boundary, MSP is an important asset to the City, and it also depends on the success of the City. The growth in ease of travel to and from Minneapolis will result in a more prosperous city overall.
Proximity to the airport also brings impacts on adjacent communities. The City will continue to engage with MSP to reduce and manage noise and pollution impacts.
The City will seek to accomplish the following action steps to Support and take an active role in strategies to make Ensure MSP Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport more modern, is efficient, connected, and environmentally sound.
- Continue to advocate for programs and procedures that prevent, reduce, and mitigate aircraft noise and continue to collaborate with partners, including the Metropolitan Airports Commission and the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Diversify and supplement options for regional and national travel, including non-aviation modes such as intercity rail.
- Improve multimodal access to the airport, including pedestrian and bicycling access for employees, travelers, and other visitors.
- Support efforts at Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport that improve the energy efficiency and environmental sustainability of air and ground transportation, and landside operations.
- Expand aviation policies to include a broader regional and national travel strategy. Include current aviation strategies as appropriate but add in regional rail alternatives.*
- Prioritize improved pedestrian and bicycling access to the airport.*
- Support the development of alternative jet fuels and ensure Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP) is prepared for their increased use.*
- Support continuing efficiency efforts at Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport.*
- Assist the Metropolitan Airports Commission in making MSP the nation’s greenest airport.*
- Support the implementation of more efficient takeoff and landing procedures at MSP, consistent with City goals to mitigate airport noise.*
*This action step was moved or removed in response to comments received or for clarification purposes.