Land Use Rezoning Study
The city of Minneapolis Is updating the zoning code to Reach Minneapolis 2040 Goals.
Minneapolis 2040 went into effect on January 1, 2020, following over two years of engagement with the people of Minneapolis. The plan guides growth and change with fourteen goals in mind, including eliminating racial disparities, slowing climate change, and increasing access to jobs and housing.
As required by state law, the City is updating its zoning rules to match the development guidelines that the City Council already approved with Minneapolis 2040. Since 2020, the City has worked to meet this requirement by adopting inclusionary zoning, eliminating single-family exclusive zoning, adopting new built form districts and regulations, and eliminating minimum parking requirements. The Land Use Rezoning Study is the next major update to zoning regulations that will create consistency between the zoning code and the comprehensive plan. The comprehensive plan’s 12 Future Land Use categories will guide the development of new land use regulations, governing issues such as:
- Uses allowed in each zoning district
- Development standards that apply to uses allowed by zoning district (size of individual uses, where retail mixed-use is required, etc.)
- Creation and mapping of new zoning districts to be consistent with the Future Land Use Map in Minneapolis 2040
This amendment also provides the opportunity to make the zoning ordinance easier for users to navigate, and easier for staff to administer. Special attention will be paid to the structure of the ordinance with an eye toward making it a more user-friendly tool.
We want your feedback on the proposed changes to the code! You can do this by clicking on the survey links throughout this webpage.
How to use this webpage
- Read through the Background section to know more about why the City is doing a Land Use Rezoning Study.
- Learn more about the draft recommendations by exploring content organized by the:
- Submit your feedback on the draft recommendations by completing the survey linked throughout this webpage.
Table of Contents
- Draft Recommendations
MINNEAPOLIS 2040 GOALS
New and updated land use regulations will ensure that key elements of Minneapolis 2040 will be implemented. Climate change resilience and Clean environment through more efficient use of land by setting the stage for more complete neighborhoods and more efficient transportation options and travel patterns. Affordable and accessible housing and Complete neighborhoods by improving access to a variety of land use designations citywide, setting the stage for increased access to goods and services and employment opportunities closer to where people live and work. More residents and jobs by regulating the efficient use of land. Eliminate disparities by ensuring ample access to a variety of land use designations citywide, making it easier to achieve other goals related to complete neighborhoods and transportation access.
Primary Zoning District Map
The land use regulations will resolve conflicts between Minneapolis 2040 and the City’s current zoning regulations. They are intended to provide clarity around which uses are allowed in which district, and whether any special regulations should apply to specific uses.
Minneapolis 2040 includes 12 Future Land Use Districts that guide the development of these regulations, which primarily guide the uses that should be allowed in the city (residential, commercial, mixed-use, production, etc.). The zoning changes described here proposed 17 new primary zoning districts (replacing the existing 23) that contain land use regulations in accordance with the future land use map and policy guidance that was already adopted by the City in Minneapolis 2040.
Important note: The use of every property in the city will not change between now and 2040. These regulations will provide guidance if a property owner proposes changes to the way a property is used.
Primary Zoning Map:
Recommendations by Land Use Topic
Urban Neighborhood (UN1, UN2, UN3)
Residential Mixed Use (RM1, RM2, RM3)
Commercial Mixed Use (CM1, CM2, CM3, CM4)
Downtown (DC, DS, DD)
Production and Production Mixed Use (PR1, PR2)
Draft Zoning District Chapters
Chapter 520 General Provisions
Chapter 525 Administration and Procedures
Chapter 530 Zoning Districts
Chapter 535 Overlay Districts
Chapter 540 Built Form Overlay Districts
Chapter 545 Use Regulations
Chapter 550 Development Standards
Chapter 555 Off-street Parking, Loading, and Mobility
Chapter 560 Signs
Chapter 565 Definitions
Chapter 598 Land Subdivision Regulations
Feedback & Resources
Land Use Rezoning Study Survey:
We invite you to complete a survey about the draft recommendations. There are 15 total questions - you do not need to respond to every item. They are organized by the following topics.
- Urban Neighborhood
- Residential Mixed Use
- Commercial Mixed Use
- Other Topics
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole:
January 12, 2023 – This meeting indicates the start of the 45-day public review period for the Land Use Rezoning Study.
August 18, 2022 – Staff presented an update on the project including information on proposed new primary districts, overlay district changes, commercial use standards, use tables, and code structure.
March 10, 2022 – Staff gave an overview of the process to come, highlighting key considerations and a general timeline of the work.
- 45-day Public Review Period – January 12 through February 26, 2023
- Virtual Public Meeting – 7pm, February 15, 2023 - link to meeting will be provided here
- Planning Commission Public Hearing – March 20, 2023
- Business, Inspections, Housing, and Zoning Committee – April 18, 2023 (Tentative)
- City Council – April 27, 2023 (Tentative)
- Ordinance Publication – May 8, 2023 (Tentative)
- Effective Date – TBD
- Racial Equity Impact Assessment (REIA) 45-day Review Draft (PDF)
- January 12, 2023 CPC COW Memo
- January 12, 2023 Full Draft of Zoning Code for 45-day Review (PDF)
- August 18, 2022 CPC COW Memo
- March 10, 2022 CPC COW Memo
- Legislation Details: Legislative file will be linked through LIMS when available.