Supporting Economic Growth: Support economic growth through City policy, regulations, tools, and programs.
The City of Minneapolis recognizes that to be successful in this changing economy it needs to improve governmental coordination and streamline processes and regulations, while still protecting public interests.With changing technologies and businesses types, government must be proactive in recognizing growing industries, and trending uses, that are entering the economy. This means improving regulations and processes that allow for entrepreneurs to innovate and contribute to economic growth, while protecting the health and safety of the public.
Further, the City needs to focus on fostering a climate of innovation and entrepreneurship, developing a skilled workforce, promoting a diversity of economic activity, building virtual, social and physical infrastructure, and eliminating racial and economic disparities.
The City will seek to accomplish the following action steps to support economic growth through City policy, regulations, tools, and programs.
- Develop a framework for City policy, regulation, culture and staff to be proactive, adaptive and collaborative in response to changing economic trends.
- Identify ways for the City to assist businesses and the workforce, in multiple sectors and at multiple levels, to address productivity and technology advances.
- Identify and remove barriers, such as lack of technical support and challenges in accessing capital and physical space, to business creation and growth by residents of color, indigenous residents and low-income residents.
- Identify ways for the City to address the changing nature of retail and the production of goods in its policies and regulations.
- Support the expansion of the green economy, including but not limited to renewable energy, green building standards, energy benchmarking and investment in energy-efficient buildings.
- Continue to clarify and streamline City processes to make it easier to improve properties as well as to start and operate businesses in Minneapolis, while continuing to protect the public interest.
- Provide active assistance and outreach to the public, small businesses and developers to navigate policies, regulations and processes required to conduct business in the city.
- Promote neighborhoods across our city for large events and visitor marketing.